1. For people who might not be familiar with your background, what would you like them to know about YOBi?
I honestly would want people to identify with me as someone just like them. I am no different. I go thru the same struggles and issues. I just do music. To see me as a hard worker, a grinder, a voice for women. I’m real and raw. You just have to listen.
2. Would you say there is a difference between “YOBi The Artist” and “YOBi The Person?”
There really isn’t too much of a difference between YOBi the artist and YOBi the person. YOBi the person is what breeds the artist. Everything I sing and write about is my real life.
YOBi ft. Maino – Painful War (Music Video)
“Odds is against me, I still keep trying. One foot forward, I gotta keep striving. Life is a road, never stop driving.”
1. Who were your favorite artists growing up? Who are your favorite artists right now?
Maaaan I was and currently still a huge fan of Whitney Houston growing up. She, next to my mother, was EVERYTHING. One of the reasons I fell in love with music. Mary J, Aaliyah, Brandy. Currently I listen to Adele, The Weeknd, Rihanna. I’m a big rock/alternative fan as well so my music taste varies.
2. Are you currently signed with a major?
I am currently independent
3. It is a huge look having your records played on Hot 97, especially in a market such as New York City. How do you feel when you hear your songs on the radio or in the club?
Well, it never gets old to hear your voice ringing in the clubs and on radio. I will always remember that first time. I’m honored people like my music and grateful to the DJs. It’s a surreal experience.
4. How did you get Hot 97 to notice and play your records?
I’ve been very lucky to have the support from Hot. One of the DJs there heard my music online. Took a chance with me and here I am!!!
5. How did you connect with Jim Jones, DJ Webster (“The One”), Maino (“Painful War”), French Montana, Styles P, and Jadakiss (“Set In Stone”)?
I have an amazing team. So luckily when these records came about, Painful War and Set in Stone, they made it happen. The One record was actually DJ Webstar idea and he approached me on it, I loved it and we made it happen.
6. What is your greatest motivation?
My greatest motivation is my family. My parents busted their behinds to give me a decent life. I wanna give back to them by saying “You will never have to work again”
7. What does music mean to you?
My music is the reflection of my thoughts, my feelings, and my life. It’s the most important thing to me right now next to my family.
8. Who are your favorite up and coming artists in New York City?
Fav up and coming artist out of NY I gotta say RnB I’m going with Emanny. Rap I’ll say Fred the godson. His punch lines are dope.
9. Who are your career mentors?
Career mentors, def my managers. They have been in this for so long they always know what to say and keep me going
YOBi – U Think U Got Me (Music Video)
– OTHER –
1. When can we expect your next single?
My next single will be out very very soon. We don’t have a solid date yet but we got some great things in the works so I’m excited.
2. What is next for you in terms of projects, collaborations, and live shows?
The shows we’ll prob start back at those this spring, I’m def working on my project, perhaps a mixtape. Collabs seem to pop up on their own so I’m thankful for that, but I def have a few surprise collabs I want to do
3. Would you say blogs are of equal or more importance as traditional media (i.e. radio, television, print) when it comes to the distribution of music?
I feel like blogs are so important. Bloggers are just as important as DJs!! A lot of the time when I release certain things I do a listening event just for the bloggers alone. They’re voice def matters.
4. What advice can you give to aspiring artists that would like to follow in your footsteps?
As corny and cliche as it sounds, just keep working at it. As many times as I wanted to quit, I didn’t because I knew I wouldn’t be happy doing anything else. Life is what you make it. Follow YOUR dream before someone hires you to help them achieve theirs!
YOBi ft. Jim Jones – The One (Audio)